My name is Dynasty Hill. I was born December 18 1989 in Milwaukee Wisconsin. My parents’ names are Sarah Ivory and Derrick Hill. Neither of them was born here but we just so happened to be stuck here. Growing up was hard with my older sister and younger brother. Ten years later my little sister was born and life got even rougher.
To back track a bit I attended Robert m Lafollette Elementary school. I was a great student i loved math, played basketball, and had great attendance and the whole nine. After elementary school came middle school. I attended Malcolm x academy where I continued to play basketball and develop into an even brighter student. I graduated number one in my eight grade class and proceeded to high school. High school was where I realized that I was a scholarship student and looked no where but up to the sky. In high school I maintained a 4.0 grade point average and everyone in my family was so proud of me. I was also on the track team, tutored students, was apart of student government, and so much more. I guess you can say that I was a pretty popular kid. I won homecoming queen, prom queen two years in a row, and was a role model to many young girls from the student body. My senior year I was enrolled in advanced placement classes and graduated number two in my class. After high school of course I went to college, it was expected of me. I chose uw Parkside because it wasn’t far from home and I heard that they had a great criminal justice program which is what my major is, with a minor in ethnic studies. Also my older sister was already a sophomore here so I felt I would have my role model and best friend when ever I needed her. I’m a junior now and I must say I wouldn’t trade my time here for anything. I am a member of Zeta Phi Beta sorority incorporated, treasurer of Black Student Union, general member of Sisters and Action, and the criminal justice club. My expected graduation date is December 2012 and I’m so excited to become a well established parole officer.
A little more about myself.... my favorite color is pink, I love to eat preferably hot and spicy food and shrimp, I love to play basketball read write and do hair. I also enjoy watching movies and bowling. I also like to dance, cook, and much more. I have eleven tattoos and four major piercings. I’m a very outgoing person so I’m usually up for all sorts of fun unless it’s illegal.
From the outside looking in one would probably assume I have lived a perfect life but in reality my happiness has just begun. Growing up both of my parents did drugs, and so did everyone around them, so one cannot imagine the struggle, pain, neglect, and hardship that I have experienced. I can’t even begin to explain the things that I have seen, and witnessed. So therefore I wont! But I can say that God has been with me through it all and without him I don’t know where I would be without him. Having a rough life not only allowed me to learn how to overcome and break any obstacles in my path but also helped me to develop into the strong ambitious hardworking determined independent woman that I am today. Both my parents are clean now and I’ve been proud to say that for almost three years now. Now there are less worries and less stress in my life and as I stated before, my happiness has just began.
During my 21 years of life i cant say that ive really been a victim of racism personally. i mean i know that it still remains within todays society and around my school campus. but when things are not important to me they go un focused upon. ive always been very diverse considering i have been into sports all my life, so ive associated with people of all colors shapes and sizes and still plan to do the same in the future. my family is entirely african american so thats all i really grew up around. i mean i have people in my family that was around during the civil rights movement and who were a part of slavery so of course they have lots of things to say to me about the "white man". it was always up to me to live by those sayings or live by my own experiences, and living by my own experiences is what i will continue to do.
In what ways have your families views shaped the way you deal with experiences with other races/cultures?
During my 21 years of life i cant say that ive really been a victim of racism personally. i mean i know that it still remains within todays society and around my school campus. but when things are not important to me they go un focused upon. ive always been very diverse considering i have been into sports all my life, so ive associated with people of all colors shapes and sizes and still plan to do the same in the future. my family is entirely african american so thats all i really grew up around. i mean i have people in my family that was around during the civil rights movement and who were a part of slavery so of course they have lots of things to say to me about the "white man". it was always up to me to live by those sayings or live by my own experiences, and living by my own experiences is what i will continue to do.
In what ways have your families views shaped the way you deal with experiences with other races/cultures?

Hey gurl,
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading my post! You directed me to yours so I read it. I love the fact as an individual that you really don't know what someone has been through just by looking at them. You stated that both your parents had suffered from drug addiction one point in time. I know it was extremely hard for you, and I can't even begin to imagine some of the things you went through. I would have liked for you to go into some details about how some of these times were for you growing up. I know many times it's hard to remember a past that you once wanted to escape from but many times you are inspiring someone else. You are letting that individual know that yes, I have been through some trials in my life but I'm not using that as a crutch from getting to the place in my life where I want to be. When you said, "Learning how to overcome obstacles has made me into the strong,ambitious,hardworking, determined,I.N.D.E.P.E.N.D.E.N.T woman you are today." I would have described myself using those same words maybe adding a few more. I enjoyed your post and hope to read many more.
thanks gurl!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your story, Dynasty. I'm impressed by your positive attitude, your dynamism, and your accomplishments so far! I'd like to know more about your choice of "parole officer" for a career. How did you first become inspired to take that path? Also: You mention that your family members will sometimes talk about "the white man" in ways that you choose to discount. I'm wondering what they say... and how you respond.
ReplyDelete